Monday, June 30, 2014

Security blanket Part II

The season is indeed upon us.  The RV blogs are full of stories from the road.  In less than a week, I'll be out there!

But there's a plot line in many of these stories that I'm taking seriously:  Power problems in camp grounds.  Two kinds of problems. One is power surges, sometimes due to thunderstorms.  This is the kind of thing for which we can buy pretty inexpensive surge protectors at Radio Shack.

The more insidious problem is pretty rare in most residential settings: brownouts.  There we all are in Happy RV Kamp with our a/c running.  And one by one, as the compressors kick in, the campground power supply is stressed.  And low voltage can do serious harm to lots of components in the RV.

Expensive harm.

The story line goes, "Man, it would have saved me so much money if I'd just gotten a power conditioner."

So I did.   Sigh.  It's an insurance premium, I guess, which I only pay once.  But, like, "Ouch!"

Replacing the incandescent bulbs with LEDs can wait a while.

6 days and counting.




No comments:

Post a Comment