Sunday, July 6, 2014

D-Day

D as in Departure. I've done about everything I can think of to get ready for travel with the Beast.  The final check-out was provided by Mother Nature: two hard monsoon downpours seem to show that the roof is integral and the caulking around various vents is good.  I have spare caulk with me, just in  case.

Yesterday was mostly about packing: clothes on hangers in the closet.  Other clothes in the drawers.  Boots -- well, they don't have a home yet. Food in the pantry and refrigerator. I intend to eat pretty much the same on the road as I do at home, so that was easy.  It's more like moving than packing.  It was hot and sticky as I carried stuff out to the Beast, but that's what showers are for!  This morning I pack up things like toiletries, and organize the electronics.  I'm a little embarrassed that I'm taking all this stuff, but it all has a purpose for now. As I do this more, I'll figure out what I really use and take only that.   A project for the not-too-distant future: The bike on the rack obscures the lens of the rear-view camera.  The camera needs to get mounted up higher; that was simply more than I had time or energy to tackle this time.

The bike gets mounted on the rack and secured; I haven't wanted to do that until now since the Beast barely fits into a parking space, and the bike rack would extend out into the drive.  An interesting side-note: The Beast has been parked at my complex on and off for the better part of the last few days.  Several people have come by to look at it and talk to me.  The men in particular say things like "I used to have one of those, and I loved it!  I really miss it."  I wonder why they stopped?   Will that be me in a few years?

I've planned to leave at 10.  I have a feeling I'll be ready before that.  I have to plane to catch:  I'll leave when I'm ready.  It's almost 6 now.

I think I'm gonna like this.

More from the road.  Be well, you all!

No comments:

Post a Comment