Friday, May 8, 2015

Plumbing

I was wrong.  There's more to report before I take off.  As some of you know, my personal plumbing got a bit of a workout this week as I passed a kidney stone.  Um ... OW!  Better now.  The stone is off at the lab, and maybe we'll learn what led to this in the first place.

And then there's the Beast's plumbing: today I did a lot of chores to get ready for travel.  I went to Buck's to get their pre-trip checkup: fluids, tires, etc.  I filled up the LP gas tank.   I filled the gas tank. And I filled the fresh water tank up to about 2/3 full.  And then ...

You may recall that last week I replaced the "city water" connector.  I tested it and all seemed well.  So I added water to the tank to bring it up to about 2/3.  The system worked fine when it was connected to external water as it would be in a campground with "hookups."  But when I checked the system running on the internal water pump, as in "boondocking," things weren't so hot.

The water system runs on demand: when a faucet is opened, the pump senses the reduced pressure and comes on automagically.  Whats happening is that the pump runs intermittently even with no faucet open. The cause seems to be that there's a slow dribble of water out the city water connector... there's a valve in the connector which is supposed to prevent this, and it apparently isn't working.  The dribble continues until the pressure gets low enough to trigger the pump.  This means a pump cycle of about 10 secs every 3-5 minutes.

In the worst case I can travel.  I just turn the pump on when I need water, and have a manual rather than an on-demand system.  I'm hoping that tomorrow morning I can get a quick consult from the folks as Merrigan's (Saturday morning!) and perhaps install another new connector.

Annoying and puzzling, but not insurmountable.




No comments:

Post a Comment