Friday, February 13, 2015

Friday morning I

First mug of coffee ...

Lots of time and energy yesterday afternoon putting together the new shroud for the a/c unit.   Just to review the bidding:  here's a picture of the old (original?) shroud in place:



That grey band at the bottom is what I'm attaching. Here's a picture of the new unit, flipped over in my living room:



The rivets are visible along the edge where the semi-flexible grey band meets the not-so-flexible white fiberglass:



There are pre-drilled holes in both parts where the rivets go.  And as I went happily riveting along, it became clear that the two pieces don't *exactly* fit together.  Close, but ... I had to deform the grey band slightly to make Tab A fit into Slot B.  I was getting frustrated, wondering if I'd screwed up somehow, or if the parts were wrong, or ... in any event, there were two places where I just could not get the holes to line up.  Close: the difference was maybe 1/8 inch.

So I walked away, had dinner, and settled in with a good book for the rest of the evening.  This morning I looked again at the picture I'd taken of the old unit in place:


The arrows show where the two pieces had to be bent a little to make them fit when the thing was assembled back in 1999.  OK, then, this is just the way it is.  So my solution: if the holes don't quite fit, make new holes!  I have a drill.

I'll basically enlarge the holes slightly, working with the grey rubbery piece so as not to risk shattering the white fiberglass.  And unless there's some interesting disaster, this is the last you'll hear about the shroud for a while.

No comments:

Post a Comment